BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, January 20, 2011

At Your Service

Phew, after multiple rejections, finally I'm able to land a job which I LEAST expected to be hired. Heck, I'm still shocked I was called for an interview. Now, I'm officially a trainee at Borders, Queensbay. I worked for two days already, and finally I found some time to blog about it since today is my day off.


It all started when I call Borders for a job inquiry. They told me there is no job vacancy, but if I am interested I am free to drop by to apply for the job. I was searching around Gurney and Prangin Mall, but since there is not much job available, I opted Queensbay, eventhough it was quite far from my house.

I applied many places besides Borders. I dropped an application in Popular, 2 optic shops, 1 shoe shop, 1 clothes shop and I even tried the gym equipment shop since practically, they do nothing...

The next day, I received a call from Borders for an interview. I had no idea what to do, since my friend working there told me the interview is pretty difficult. I asked for advice, and she told me that the interviewer will ask me about a book that you have last read. I panicked, since its been ages since I read a book... Finally, I remembered that I once read a book in my sisters shelf, called Memoirs Of A Geisha. Its SUPER boring, but since after SPM all I did was help my parents, car driving lessons and games, I might as well read it. As most of you might have expected, I only managed to reach like, if I can recall... half the book?

Going to the interview, I tried remembering the storyline to not mess up later. The only thing I brought were my certs and my passport-sized photos for forms.

During interview, I was a bit nervous, but luckily its not like, 3 managers against me, its just 1 on 1... Luckily the questions are all job related questions, but it is kind of embarassing for me when he asked me to show my certs... I was in such a rush I just brought all the cert I have, so I forgot to take out the certs I got when I was in primary school, and even kindergarten...

Things seemed well, since he asked me to start working as a trainee on Monday. I'm still shocked I got the job... I canceled every job application I applied earlier, and asked for guidance from my friend working there.


On Monday, I started working the morning shift.

Day 1:

I was introduced to everyone there, and was given a tour by Ms. Wendy, one of the Service Managers. She was kind enough to explain the details I need to know as a worker here. After that, she had to do her job, and I was clueless of what to do, since I have no schedule yet. I was thought by another colleague on how to do recovery, and thats what I did for the pass 8 hours... Crouching and standing up for 4 hours, and another 4 hours after an hour of break... My legs... I can barely feel them that day... But, 1st day is always the worst, isn't it?

Day 2:

I came in and checked my schedule, and its kinda delightful to see my name in the computer now. Though, I was paged to go to the office minutes after that for briefing. I didn't know there is a briefing for afternoon shift workers so... Thank god the manager isn't angry...

I was in charge of Information Counter for 6 HOURS! ALONE! My jaw practically dropped till the ground that day. Why? Because nobody ever thought me anything about the jobs in the information counter. I only know how to check for books available... I've only learned how to wrap, thanks to Kak Zura and Chia Ying for teaching me the announcements. I don't mind dealing with customers, but phone calls still scare me. I'm afraid I might offend anyone without knowing. I even embarassed myself when the register called me, and I introduced as "Good Evening, QB Borders, how may I help you?" Urghhhhhh...

Information counter isn't that bad, but its a lot of job after store closes. Not to mention I sounded SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO robotic and angry when I do announcements...

Tomorrow I'm working in the afternoon. I just hope I'm not gonna be in charge of register alone. I have absolutely no idea on how to do cashier jobs... Pray for me that I won't do any more mistakes, 'kay?


Signed off,
Teng Au......

P.S. I'm officially Kelvin Khoo now. My colleagues call me Kelvin now, so friends, do get use to it, hehe...

Signed off,
Kelvin.

0 comments: