BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, August 15, 2009

My BOSLIB Adventure

My sincere apologies for the inactive blog, been busy with other stuffs in school and out of school (other times? Plain lazy >.<). It seems like I have not mention much about Board Of Student Librarians in this blog, so I will dedicate this post on it (^.^).

It started out during the 1st day of school, the Orientation Day for the lower 6. The teacher advisor of the Board Of Student Librarians, Mr Tan Swee Guan, gave an amazing speech and video slide on the library. Then, the librarians handed out forms to everyone interested in joining. I signed up of course, if not, what the hell am I doing this post for?

Well, a few weeks later, those who signed up were called to an interview, in the library. I was pretty scared, as I don't attend interviews very much. My interviewers were Hundia Yin, Honey Loo and K. Rutheran. Honey and Hundia were okay, very precise, nice and not very much questions, while Rutheran shot me with killer questions. I can't feel my legs during the interview... Worse, I was the very few 1st ones who were called for interview, can't ask those who finished their interviews on how well it went.

Anyways, I was accepted as a probationary librarian, and were to perform duties as a normal librarian AND study the theory and practical stuffs a librarian must know. And to my surprise, there will be an exam on librarian stuffs... The test is divided into 4 parts, theory, book wrapping, shelving and IT(keying in books). We have about 4 weeks to study our theory and practice wrapping/key-ing in/shelving.

After 4 weeks of learning (or not?), the exam was finally here... Chill sweats rolling down my neck... The computer broke down, so IT test could not be carried out, and is replaced with oath taking. We had to memorize the whole oath, yes, the WHOLE oath, about 7 or 8 lines of words. Thankfully, it ain't as difficult as I thought it would be, I only had to burn about 30 minutes of midnight oil.

The week after that, the results were out. I PASSED!!!! Well, everyone did, so nothing much exciting about it anymore... Top scorer = Laura Teh Ee Ling, 2nd = Brian John Dorai and 3rd = Lim Pheng Sheng and Toh Ann Gie. I scored 7th I think, among 30+ who took the exam. Well, I'm pretty satisfied, I guess... These marks don't make any difference, since only 40% of the total marks were needed to pass...

Enough with the test, back to normal duties of a normal librarian. My duty was on Monday, and until now, it is still Monday. Normal routines like maintaining the cleanliness, shelve books, wrapping and keying in books are done that time. Nothing much exciting anymore, after doing it like, 8 times...

2 weeks after that (I think), the Annual General Meeting for the Board Of Student Librarians was held. We have to buy a BOSLIB T-shirt and wear it, to attend the AGM. 1st was the speech by the teacher advisor, long speech, but very meaningful.. Then, it was the speech by the Chairman, or called Head Librarian for BOSLIB. His speech was pretty touching, and he actually cried that time... Then it was the normal routine for every AGM, reports from Secretary and Treasurer. After that, it was the presentation of badges to the librarians, and the post holder. I was elected as IT officer, which I dunno why, since I am almost illiterate in IT... The Deputy Head Librarians are Lingeswarran (expected), and Lim Hui Yee. I would explain every post holder in this post, but I am too lazy... Go check the BOSLIB Notice board in PFS if ya wanna know more...

After taking over, our big project right now is the Annual Dinner for BOSLIB, and this year, it will be extra special, since it is the 40th anniversary of the establishment of "Khutub Khanah Tunku", our Free School Library. It was 1st established in our current band room, and was named Pinhorn Memorial Library, at 1955. 4 years later, it was moved to the 6th form block and on December 1969, it was established near the school hostel. It was originally suppose to be a swimming pool, but they decided to have a library instead.

Well, thats all for now, I gotta get busy and cook up a video for the video presentation during the annual dinner. Then, I gotta hold a photoshoot for the library cards, and then, prepare booklets for the dinner.... AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Going crazy, so much stuff in so little time, 1 month to complete them all...

"On admission to the Office of Student Librarians, I undertake to the best of my abilities and on all occasions conscientiously and actively to honour its ideal, promote its interest and uphold its name, and I further undertake to perform the duties attached to the Office of Student Librarians fairly and earnestly. And in this, I offer my services to the school and hope to earn her approval."

Signed off,
Teng Aun.

0 comments: