BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Mahindarama Father's Day Celebration

The Mahindarama Buddhist Temple celebrated Father's Day yesterday, which is one day earlier than the original date (don't ask me why, I am clueless myself). It was organized by the Mahindarama Buddhist Temple volunteers and the Buddhist Students' Society members. On that day, foods were served, 188 balloons are to be released, and there would be drawing competitions for childrens.

First things first, setting up of tables, amplifiers, etc etc. We received the food early, so we have to arrange them on tables and cover them up with plastic so that bugs won't 'infect' them. Then, that volunteers said that the tables were not sufficient, and we have to proceed to the temple to get more. Luckily, the 'balloon gang' who were hired to fill up around 200 balloons with helium, drove a van big enough to fit about 4 or 5 tables with a few stack of chairs. Jason and I were to go to the temple to collect them. Afterwards, Jason and I again, were stationed at the Lucky Draw table to give our door gifts and hand out papers to participate in the lucky draw. Jason was then, replaced by Lye Jin Peng, the only girl attended this function from Buddhist Students' Society.

About 10 minutes before 7, people started rolling in, one by one, little by little. The crowd can still be managed with ease. But as soon as the clock strikes 7, crowds came pouring in, flooding the place. Many demanded more paper for lucky draws, some only wanted door gifts so they could leave the place early, and some just walked near the stage. Then, its chanting time. Its for the new Buddha statue placed on a small but beautifully arranged garden. The chanting were pretty much the same as what we use to chant during club meetings, but I could only recall one tenth of the full version, so most of the time I was lip syncing.

The stage, and everyone gathering around it.
Chuah Chong Ken (left) and Lye Jin Peng.

After an hour, the crowd started to move to the stage, getting ready for the next event.
The crowd started accumulating near the stage.

According to the volunteers, there were supposed to be 188 balloons to be released on that day, but everyone just lost count, whoever does, I would like to know the exact amount. Those who made donations were given a balloon to be released near the stage. It was pretty exciting, suprisingly, for something so simple (perhaps it was the crowd).

Balloons released!!
Chuah Chong Ken and Lye Jin Peng's 'lovely' twosome balloon...

After the balloons were released, the kids get to present their speech about their father ion the stage. I was still incharge of the lucky draws for the late comers, but I could hear a part of a speech by a small, primary boy, who shocked me. Suprisingly, his English was magnificient! His vocabulary was at Secondary School level. Some of the words he used really suprised me! I wonder if he did that alone...

After the speeches, dancing time!! Not for the public or the volunteers of course... There was a group of dancers named Metropolitan, performing some dance I don't really know (looked like Aerobics to me). From what the Master of Ceremony said, they were a group of lion dancers. That I would really like to see.
Metropolitans rocking the floor!

Then, dinner will be served. Before that, I was tired and I decided to just go home. After dinner, there were supposed to be a public karaoke, which I am obviously, not interested at all. I could actually have stayed longer if I remembered about the drawing contest. They were going to announce the winner on stage, and I would like to see the masterpiece... Oh well, I was tired anyways, brain cells were dying... Thats all about it. Buh Bye!

Signed off,
Teng Aun.

0 comments: